Bondage through Religion; Freedom through the Cross

>> Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Religion and humanity bring nothing but bondage. It is only the Cross that brings freedom."

I am not a Biblical scholar by any means. I wish I understood the Bible better and could sit down with a 3,000 page book by some brilliant man who did but it's just not me. God teaches me through life. I learn by experiencing.

The quote at the top of this blog is one I heard in church this morning and it just stuck with me. The rest of the sermon on Repentance and Freedom was amazing as well and maybe I'll write something about that later on.

I've been so puzzled lately with religion. It seems like the last six months for me have been full of question and lessons about the church as a whole. Through it all, I've learned exactly what the quote at the top says...Religion brings bondage. Church too often becomes about going to a certain place at a certain time,seeing certain people, singing certain songs, and doing certain things. It's all just so messed up. Church is not a building. It's the people of God coming together to worship Him. So simple yet we make is so complicated. I've been so guilty of that. I realized that about myself when I was talking to a good friend the other day about how I left my old church. I was telling her about how hurt I felt that after I left my church of almost 15 years, only 2 people even said anything. I was hurt. But i've come to realize that my focus was all wrong. I was too focused on the people and not focused enough on finding my place to worship. Does it still hurt? Sure, if i think about it...but I'm trying my best to let go of that and remember that that is not what church is about.

Freedom only comes through the cross. Not through a certain denomination, not through a certain song or sermon....through the cross. I still struggle with completely focusing on Christ during church. Its hard to get my mind to slow down enough to really focus but I find that when I do and I hear what He is saying to me, I feel free. I feel like all the struggles that I carried into His presence have been thrown to the other side of the earth. Christ brings such freedom to those who open their hearts enough to let Him in.

So I don't know if what I said made much sense. Its just been something I've been thinking about lately and this mornings sermon made me think about it a little more.

On to other things... Life right now is good. I've been figuring out a lot of things...thinking too much for my own good. Just ask any of my good friends. haha. I've been picking at their brains about a few things the last week or so. I'm extremely blessed to have some of the friends I have. They are straight up with me... calling me out on areas I stumble in. It not always easy but I do appreciate it so much. Friends like that are worth more than words.

I believe that's all for today...I hope everyone had a great 4th!

Love. Love. Love.
Katie

2 comments:

Elizabeth July 6, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

I read this a few days ago and really liked it. Can't remember what I was going to comment then, but thanks for it anyway. :]

Anonymous July 21, 2009 at 6:24 AM  

Hey Katie! I'm probably one of "those people" who didn't say anything when you left Lighthouse :( . I just want you to know that I do miss you TERRIBLY and wish like anything that you were still there. Our college ministry is growing by leaps and bounds, it seems, and I know you could be a strong leader and a huge impact there. The reason you haven't heard from me though is because, when someone close to me leaves Lighthouse (which seems to be happening a lot this last year), it's tough for me to know what to say. I don't want to discourage you if God wants to use you in another church family, but I LOVE Lighthouse...the pastor, the staff, the people, what we stand for, etc...so it's hard for me to wrap my brain around people leaving and to really know what to say to be encouraging or to not be discouraging. I love you, girl, and I pray that God reveals His will to you soon as to what church family you belong so that you can dive in and get to work for Him! WE STILL NEED TO GET TOGETHER FOR COFFEE!!!!!!

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP