Sweetly Broken; Wholly Surrendered

>> Sunday, February 1, 2009

At the cross You beckon me
You draw me gently to my knees, and I am
Lost for words, so lost in love,
I’m sweetly broken, wholly surrendered
What a priceless gift, undeserved life
Have I been given

Through Christ crucified

-Sweetly Broken by Jeremy Riddle

We sang the song above and church this morning. Maybe I've heard it before or maybe not...not sure. But I've had it stuck in my head since then. Along with the message this morning, everything just kind of fell in place for me. Here's what I'm thinking...

The phrase "broken" by God makes sense to me but has always made me cringe a bit too. Broken just isn't something a normal person would say that they want their life to be. I kept wondering what an unbeliever thinks when they hear someone say they were "broken by God." Does it make them want to run in the other direction, scared that this God we speak of will break them too?

That was until this morning. During the worship time, a man was on stage with a potter's wheel and some clay. During all of the singing he worked the clay and eventually made it into a beautiful piece. Pastor Brady then brought an amazing message and in it used the potter's wheel and clay sort of as a visual about our time with God. The very end of the sermon stuck out to me the most. It was 4 points he entitled "Lessons's From the Potter's Wheel". The first point it what really got me thinking. It was....
1. Recognize Your Role- (The Clay)
-When you buy an unique piece of pottery, the price is usually quite expensive. The funny thing about it is that clay in and of itself has no beauty or value (about 28 cents a pound). It is not until the Potter takes the clay and works with it, gets out the impurities and makes it until a beautiful creation that it becomes something of value.

Reading that was kind of a smack in the face, ya know? Actually realizing that I am nothing until God puts me on his wheel and molds me into what He wants for me.

Mk...time to "bring this full circle" and back to the "broken" thing. The sermon combined with the song and personal experience really showed me that being broken by God is not as harsh as it sounds. I look that the song says "Sweetly broken". It really speaks to the point that when God takes us and breaks us, it's with love, compassion and a plan. Not to say that it's not hard at times...afterall...it's still called being broken, but in the end, He molds us back into a beautiful piece for His glory even better than we were before.


Jeremiah 18:3-6
So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. Then the word of the LORD came to me: "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?" declares the LORD. "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.

Love. Love. Love.
Katie






2 comments:

Our Little Family February 3, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

That was an Awesome service as always! Im happy to see God is working in your life... and your allowing him even tho it isnt easy! Im proud of you for making changes you feel needed to be made and for stepping out at church and making friends and getting involved. It isnt always easy but as Pastor Brady said last week Akward= AWESOME!

Anonymous February 4, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Candice said it!

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP